Monday, May 5, 2014

We have a well!!!

On May 1st we had our well guy come and he 'witched/dowsed' for the best spot to drill.  Here is a video of him doing this:

WY - witching/dowsing for our well

He found two veins of water that intersected and that is where he drilled!  He drilled 210 ft deep but only got .75 gal/min.  Not the greatest, but it is better than no water!  He (Paul) told us that he drilled 2 other properties down the road from us (further up the hill), one at 250 ft and another at 500ft deep and neither one of them found any water!! 

Paul also said we should look into getting a cistern to hold 1,000 gallons of water and then our well would pump into the cistern.  That way we always have water at our disposal.

The first day they drilled, he said it was basically a test drill.  It took about 3 hours total and he drilled (I believe) a 6" well (the WY standards say it has to be an 8" wide well, I believe).  He said the reason he does this is to get a better, more accurate reading for our water pressure.  The second day, May 2, 2014, he returned and dug to the WY standards, placed in the pipe/tubing, and capped off our well.  We will have him come back later to do the piping to our house and also to add on the well pump too.  He said that in WY you have to have a 'well pump certified installer' to add on the well pump.  This is because WY has become very strict with their regulations for wells.  Paul said that WY is the 7th strictest state!!

The total cost was $4,970 and that does not include the well pump or piping it to our house. 


Here are some pictures that we took of our well being dug and the capped pipe:




























I was being silly and took a picture of my new boots:)  Between my new Danner boots and the boots Jack Miller gave me, I'm covered!!  I learned the hard way that out here you can't wear tennis shoes!  We have way too many cacti and their needles go right through my tennis shoes. 

2 comments:

  1. Keep the blogs up Kristen...I love reading them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynda!! I will be doing some 'catching up' on a few things I didn't get posted, but today we had really good and fast internet service!! So glad you like reading it!

      Delete