Monday, May 19, 2014

The Perfect Saturday in Red Lodge

On May 17th, we headed into Red Lodge.  We have a solar/hand-crank radio, and heard a week or so ago that they were having a free pancake breakfast at the fire station!  Well, we can't exactly make pancakes at our trailer, so we thought it would be fun to go to the breakfast and then do some more exploring in the town.

The breakfast was SO good!!  They had pancakes but also eggs and sausage! And let me tell you, that was the best tasting sausage links I've ever had.  That's one thing we've noticed around here... the meat - hamburgers, pulled pork, sausage, etc - tastes so much better than anything I've had in Ohio.  Most of the places around here serve angus beef and the animals are only grass fed.  This is all making me wish I had a refrigerator and stove right now:)

Anyhow - the fire station was really nice! They had the fire truck and the ambulances on display.  What I thought was so neat was they even had a fire and rescue Jeep!

Here are some of our pictures:




 
They even had a rock wall in the fire station!!








The fire station even has a Fire/Recue ATV!!




After breakfast we explored Red Lodge some more! We discovered some of the coolest stores:  Lights on Broadway has some of the neatest light fixtures, then we stopped at this metal working store (I can't think of the name right now) but they do anything from custom railing to Christmas ornaments.  And we even stopped in at the Carbon County Art Guild (I believe that's what it's called).  All this 'window shopping' and browsing makes me excited to start decorating.  In OH, I never did decorate, mainly because we were saving $$ to move.

The pictures below are from the Art Guild - it is actually housed in an old railway station!








My dad would love the farm picture above!!






We drove just out of town, toward the Beartooth Hwy (closed right now) and saw this truck!! It's a Jeep Willies!  Scott told me that his best friend James W.'s dad had one just like this and they would drive it sometimes:)

That's the thing - out here, there are old vehicles everywhere!!  So Scott's truck fits right in:)




We stopped for lunch at the Red Box Car.  It is Red Lodge's 'fast food' which really isn't fast food, as it's all made to order.  But you go in this former box car, order your food and you can eat in the attached (small) dining area or outside on the patio overlooking the creek!  The food was REALLY good and we even tried a huckleberry shake.  Huckleberry's are very popular around here and they make all sorts of things from them.  I was told the bears really like them!





Red Lodge, MT is definitely one of my favorite towns!!

No comments:

Post a Comment