Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Exciting News! And Time to Guess!!

First the exciting news!!  Scott's Uncle Guy works for Auto Drive Magazine in the Greater Columbus area.  Well, a week or so ago we had one of the most beautiful sunrises I've seen.  I sent the picture to our friends and family including Uncle Guy! To my surprise he sent me a message to say that he was publishing my picture in his Auto Drive Newsletter!!

Here is what Uncle Guy wrote:

A Sky on Fire
This is a photo of a sunrise taken by Kristen Adkins recently near Powell, Wyoming. Kristen is married to my nephew Scott. She has a real knack for photography and has captured numerous nature scenes, magnificent sunrises and sunsets. I thought this might get your mind off of the brutal cold weather we have been enduring.Guy Patrick

And here is the picture:



Thank you Uncle Guy!!! You put the biggest smile on my face:)


House News
Scott started working on plans/ideas to finish our bathroom!!!  First up, framing in our shower - it will be a large walk-in shower with cubby holes built into the wall.  Ah, just thinking about taking a normal shower! I hate to admit it, but for me, it's been since August of last year that I've had a REAL shower.  No worries, we take 'sponge' baths every week, but it's still not quite the same.

Baby News!

On a not so good note....
We had a bit of a pregnancy scare a little over a week ago.  On 3 occasions I was spotting/bled.  After a complete freak out on my part and an emergency trip to the doctor, it appears everything is OK!  The doctor told me that this happens to some women for no apparent reason.  I am not having pains or cramping (a HUGE plus!) and to relieve my nerves, the doctor put the Doppler on my belly and Scott and I both heard the heart beat.  We are not at all worried and the doctor is not worried either.  However, I’m taking it VERY easy just to be safe. 
This is kind of fun!  About a week ago, Scott started talking about doing different things to our property for our new addition!  To hear him talk about it and get excited makes me that much more excited too!  He's talking about adding a functioning train around our property.  We have also talked about creating a series of trails all about our property so we can ride 4-wheelers, dirt bikes, bicycles, and take walks.  We are just imagining a little one on his/her own little 4-wheeler while mom/dad follow behind on the big 4-wheeler!  Ah! Can you tell we are getting excited!

Today I had my 4th doctor's appointment (I'm 15 weeks 1 day).  For the most part it went well.  The baby is doing great, but they did a test on my to check my glucose levels and discovered I'm dehydrated! So at the moment I'm working on my second 33.8 oz bottle of water since my appointment. 

The exciting part!! I have another appointment in 3 weeks and on the same day (in 3 weeks) I will have my first ultrasound when I'm 18 weeks.  AND we will be finding out the sex of the baby!! I am SO excited! It feels real, sometimes, but knowing what we are having and seeing that visual of the baby will make it all that much more real to me!!  And I think it will set in even more with Scott.  I doubt Scott will get off work to be at the appointment, so I'm going to do just like my sister-in-law Jenna did - I'm going to have the nurse/technician write it on a piece of paper and then after my appointment I'll head straight to Scott's work to share the news!!  But don't worry!! All my friends and family, you will be included too!  I'll be sending a special reveal to you all in the mail.

We thought we’d have some fun and see if you all want to play along and take your guesses.  Here is some family history on both sides plus the answers to many old wives tales to help you make your decision on what you think we’ll be having!!  I haven’t had an ultrasound yet, but we are pretty sure that Daryl is going to be an only Daryl this time around as I gained several inches around my waist the first month, but since then I’ve stayed the same! Of course this is just my opinion… but we’ll find out for sure when I have my ultrasound.

Family Facts:

                Kristen’s immediate family:  girl, boy, (16 years later), girl, boy

                Scott’s immediate family: boy, boy

                Kristen’s mom’s family: girl, boy, girl

                Kristen’s dad’s family: boy, boy/girl twins, boy

                Scott’s mom’s family: 6 girls

                Scott’s dad’s family: I'm not positive...

                Kristen’s siblings:  Rhonda – 2 boys; Darren – girl, boy, boy, girl; Ty – boy (on the way)

Old Wives’ Tales!!

How am I carrying the baby – high is a girl, low is a boy (I’m not really even showing yet)
 
Both?
 
Skin blemishes? (no) Acne? (no)
Boy
 
 
Dry hands? (yes)
Boy
 
 
Ring Swing! I did this with my engagement ring tied to my ear buds (it’s all I had!), but it swung in a circle!
Boy
 
 
Heart Rate (over 140 it’s a girl, under 140 it’s a boy): my first Doppler it was 180, second Doppler was 168
 
 
Girl
Craving Sweets? (girl) Craving Salty/Sour (boy) – I’m not craving either… I am craving fruit flavors but not actually fruit – orange juice, apple juice, and Starburst is also doing the trick.  No cravings for chocolate, but like normal, if it’s offered I’ll probably eat it:)
 
 
Girl
 
Chinese Gender Reveal (based on age of conception (29) and month of conception (November 2014))
 
 
Girl
Mayan Gender Reveal (age at conception (29), year of conception (2014)) – one is even, one is odd
Boy
 
 
Has Hubby packed on some ‘padding’? YES (about 10-15 lbs!!)
 
 
Girl
Morning sickness? Not really, but I have felt queasy at times.
Boy
 
 
History of Parents Kids: Kristen’s side – Boy; Scott’s Side – Boy
Boy
 
 
Moodiness? I’m not moody at all! In fact I’m really enjoying being pregnant.
Boy
 
 
Dreams of the baby’s sex? All I’m having are nightmares of crazy off the wall dreams about our cats and Scott.
 
Both
 
Clumsy? Not more than usual. 
 
 
Girl
What side do you sleep on? Both sides! I toss and turn all night long.
 
Both
 
What does the mom think she’s having? 
Boy
 
 
Craving meat and cheese? Yes!!
Boy
 
 
Feet colder now that I’m pregnant? No, I don’t think so.
 
 
Girl
Hair on legs growing at record speeds? No – considering I have barely any hair at all on my legs in general, I’m not sure about this one!!
 
 
Girl
This one’s a little TMI – bright pee (boy), dull pee (girl)
Boy
 
 
Headaches – YES, almost daily in the last month!
Boy
 
 
Names? We have like 10 boy names but only 1 girl name (which can also be a boy name!)
Boy
 
 

Time to place your bets!!!  Feel free to comment with your guesses below! I'd love to see what everyone thinks!

2 comments: