Saturday, November 8, 2014

Scott got a job and now works for _______!!!

For the last month he's been looking up places to work, newspaper ads, online ads, etc.  There were 2 that interested him.  The first is with Georgia Pacific in Lovell (an hour and 15 min drive, one way in good weather!).  He had an interview with them and they have some really crazy hours - 12 hr days, one week of days, one week of nights, working 7 days a week and then every so often there is a full week off.  To say that he wasn't thrilled about this is an understatement!  Luckily they chose not to hire him for this position.

Shortly after he applied at GP he also applied at Park County Implement in Powell, WY which is our closest town to us at about a 30 min drive.  I helped with his resume and cover letter, we submitted them, but never heard back.  The same day he had his GP interview, I told him to stop in, introduce himself, and just ask to follow up on his application.  They then gave him a paper application to fill out.  After his GP interview, we stopped back at Park County Implement for him to turn in his application.  I was sitting in the car waiting on him and an hour later he comes out!! They gave him an impromptu interview!!  The Store Manager and the Parts Manager interviewed him. 

Scott said they told him in the interview that he would get a second interview! 2 days later they called and had him scheduled for his second interview the very next day (Thursday).  I went along with him but had him drop me off next door at a store (kind of like a mini Walmart store - they had a little of everything but not much of anything).  About 45 min later he comes in and won't give me direct eye contact and his cheeks are red.... I'm thinking the worst that he doesn't want to tell me in public that they didn't want to hire him.  But he says, Let's walk around, I've never been in here before.  So we start walking and I'm trying to figure out how it went while he's stonewalling me!! 

Finally we get to the kitchen appliances area and he wants to look at coffee makers.  He finds one he likes all while I'm thinking, we don't have the money for it!!  But he finally looks at me and says, 'I'll need this for my new JOB!!!'

I let out a scream of joy and couldn't stop hugging him!!

Here are the 2 best parts of this job.  First, in our area (very rural, country farm area), I told him not to wear typical business attire - no Dockers, no Tie, no dress shoes.  Instead I had him wear a nice plaid button down shirt, tucked into khaki colored jeans, a brown belt and his pair of brown cowboy boots.

The next best part is that the Park County Implement store is actually a John Deere dealer!!! Yes, I can't believe I'm admitting it, but Scott works for a John Deere dealer!!  If you don't know me that well, you should know that I come from a farming family - strictly a Case IH or red tractor family.  In his interview, they asked him why he would want to work for John Deere.  His response was something along the lines of, '(chuckle) Well, my father-in-law is a farmer and is only a Case IH/red tractor guy. Let's just say it would be interesting to tell him I work for John Deere!!'  And both of the guys interviewing him started to laugh!! 

We are still waiting to hear his start date, but they said it should be in the next week or so.  He has to fill out his pre-employment paperwork and get his John Deere work shirts.  But I'm so excited for him and so very proud of him!!!  I have been telling him for years all he needed to do is meet face-to-face with the hiring manager and they'd like him. 

And for any of you wondering, I have called my dad and have broke the news to him!  I can tell he's really excited for Scott too (no that's not sarcasm) but to be sure dad's friends could joke about it, I had to call Ron Fritz and tell him too:)  Ron is a good friend of my dads and he is a John Deere man.  Now he and his other John Deere friend George can poke fun with my dad about it!!

I just can't explain to you all just how proud I am of Scott!!!

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations to Scott! So happy for you guys, everything is really starting to come together for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy and proud for you and Scott. Now you can feel more at home and even relax a little after you celebrate. Good Luck.
    By the way, do you have the inside of your house all done now with electric and water running well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question!! No... we still don't have running water yet - we fill up our water buckets at our neighbors house and bring them back, using it for dishes, manually flushing the toilet, and for taking a 'sponge' bath (still no real shower either, just a basin and drain is all). We only have the extension cord hooked to a power strip... not yet full electric. I expect we won't have running water or full electric till sometime this coming spring. Crazy to think we will have gone almost a full year without either of them!! But we can't complain! We are happy and having fun:)

      Delete