Thursday, November 13, 2014

House Update - How it's holding up to the cold!


We are in full blown winter here in Clark, Wyoming!  It’s crazy because last week it was in the 50s and 60s here and now with this cold front, we have had a low of -18 and no higher than 9 degrees!  I admit, I didn’t know what we were getting into, winter wise, when we moved out here, but this huge drop in temperatures is not what I expected! 

But I want to give you all an update on inside temperatures and how our insulation is holding up.  Like I said above, the temperatures this week have ranged from -18 to 9 degrees but mostly closer to 0 for a high on a few days.  We do have some snow, but it’s just a slight coverage, nothing much really. 

Our house has done really well for us!  The lowest it has gotten overnight when the wood stove isn’t being used is 55 degrees.  Yeah, we wake up, all cozy and cuddly under the covers and I admit, 55 is chilly!  But if that’s the low, that’s doable!  During the day we have had to use the wood stove anywhere from 2 to 3 times using no more than 1 full pack of 6 wood bricks plus our kindling.  In the mornings, it takes just 10 min or less and we are warmed up to 60 degrees.  Now it takes about 30 minutes to an hour for the whole house to be warmed up.  Last night we were in shorts and t-shirts in here while in our bare feet because it was 77 degrees!!

We are very comfortable and have no worries!  I don’t remember if I wrote this before, but we cut up a bunch of our wood pallets to use at kindling. The pallets were free and we wanted to be sure we had something to get us started!  We also have a bunch of left over 1x4’s (16’ long) that if we have to, we will use those to keep us warm too.  And, we still have the bracing on the walls from when we first put the walls up.  Again, if we have to, we’ll use those to burn too!  Sometimes you do what you have to do.

The last 2 days, while it has been the coldest, we ventured out to stock up on essentials.  We got a Costco membership (the greatest place on Earth as Nate would say!!) and stocked up on things like bottled water, paper towels, toilet paper, some food for Scott to pack in his lunch, 2 large cast iron skillets, 2 small cast iron skillets that came with cookie mixes….. and more!  Then yesterday we had to go to Cody to get the title transferred over on the Bronco so we went to Walmart and stocked up on cat supplies – 3 tubs of kitty litter, 4 bags of cat food, lots of cat treats and even some catnip!  Plus since I didn’t get a lot of canned goods at Costco, I got a bunch of canned chili, some fruit and vegetables, plus what I really wanted was a box of powdered milk!  That may sound weird, but powdered milk works great for baking, things like pancakes.  Well milk (and eggs as I have found out the last few days) freezes all too well in these cold temperatures so I needed an alternative.  For the eggs, we’re going to freeze bottles of water then bring in the small cooler inside to keep the eggs cold. 

The good thing about the cold weather is all the rest of my food stays perfectly cold (and frozen) just outside the door in the cooler!!  That means fewer trips to the neighbors to use their refrigerator.

We’ve had several phone calls and texts this week of our friends and family checking on us to be sure we’re ok!  I guess the news showed that Billings was something crazy like -28 degrees!!!  I think it’s because of the dry air, but even if it was that cold here, it really didn’t feel like it.  It wasn’t difficult to breather out in the cold and I hate to admit this, but even when Scott and I ventured out, neither of us wore a winter coat!!  He wore a flannel shirt with a fleece lined vest over top while I wore a sweatshirt with a light jacket and a fuzzy lined bomber hat and gloves.  Neither of us have been good at wearing winter coats, but I guess we’ll have to start!!

Even with everything, we have so much to be thankful for!  Just past our house (2 properties past us) there are 3 campers and lots of vehicles, plus now an outhouse.  They have no electricity at all and we don’t even think they have a generator!  I don’t know how they are doing it but it appears they are trying to live in their campers even in this cold!!  It just makes me so thankful that we are not in the cargo trailer right now!  That first month that we lived in the cargo trailer, there was a few days where we had snow and it was really cold (I think in early May).  I remember that it got down in the 20s and we had absolutely no heat source then!!  I’m just so thankful to be in our house, I’m thankful for our wood stove, and I’m so thankful for our wonderful neighbors who have been looking out for us too!  Our neighbor boy Brian even brought us some wood that he cut up because he and his family wanted to be sure we were plenty warm!

On a completely different subject, Scott’s big day, his first day of work, is now Monday (instead of Friday). They just called and said his boss isn’t working on Friday after all so he won’t go in till Monday (no problem!).  We are both getting excited for him to start work! He’s getting excited to start earning a paycheck again and getting the opportunity to work in a new industry (agriculture and tractor/parts sales).  I, on the other hand, and looking forward to getting him out of the house!!!  Yes, I have very much enjoyed our time together, day in and day out, but I have to admit, I get a lot more work done when he’s not here!! 

I hope you all stay warm this week!!  Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment